Saturday, February 22, 2014

President's Day and a FREEBIE!

This past week we spent three exciting days talking about President's Day. George Washington was the focus for Day 1. Check out some of the activities that we did!
 
 
We made hats to look like George Washington!
 
 
We made and read Fran Kramer's "Our First President" book. (You can pick up a copy for yourself here.) Then, we did a guided art drawing of Mr. Washington. :) This is a picture of one of my kinders drawings.
 
We read books and talked about George Washington all day! At the end of the day, we made a facts chart of everything we learned about George Washington. I sat at the computer and typed up what the kids had to say and then printed the facts out and added them to our chart.
 
 
Day 2 was all about Abraham Lincoln. I had copier issues with running off the book on Abe for everyone, but we still read the one copy that I did have and did our guided art drawing on a separate page.

 
I thought that they turned out SUPER cute!
 
 
 
Of course, we HAD to make hats! ;)
 
Again, we read books all day and then made a facts chart at the end.
 
 
Day 3 was our big wrap-up!
 
 
We filled in a Venn Diagram with facts about both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I wrote in the facts on a large anchor chart and my kinders had the facts that they had to glue into the correct spot on the diagram. The student version was part of Erica Bohrer's President's Day Printables Pack. I was happily surprised at the information that my kinders recalled. :)
 
 
We made our own Washingtons and Lincolns. I had my kinders tell me which president was their favorite BEFORE I told them what we were doing. Sometimes they tend to base their decisions on what their friends are doing and what the looks like. :)
 

"He was the first president."
 
 

 
"He stopped slavery."
The last thing that we did was write about why we the president we chose was our favorite. The kids really seemed to enjoy talking about the presidents and doing all our activities.
 
I made the Lincoln/Washington writing page a FREEBIE in my TPT store. You can pick you a copy to use next year here. All I ask is that you leave me some feedback and if you like what you see, please consider following my store. :)
 
 
Hope you enjoyed seeing what we did for President's Day! What are some of the things that you do in your classroom?
 
 
 
 


 
 


1 comment: